Sunday, May 5, 2024

It’s been a year

4/29/24



… since this project started. I put in a bid on this property around this time last year 


 I offered the asking price, but they got 5 other offers and two offering significantly more. The owners went through due diligence through two of the top offers, but the property failed the perc test required for a reasonably priced septic system so the deal fell through. I found out in early July that I was the last one standing.  


Lucky for me, I only wanted to plant water-loving willow on it. I had started half my cuttings by then and was looking at other properties. 


It took til August 1st to close and because I was simultaneously fixing up my house to sell and recovering from a concussion, I didn’t get a driveway into the property til January. 


So here I am as May begins, and summer is starting early here in WNC, still in planting mode, though the weather is not cooperating. We are driving up to the farm and hand watering every day during a 2 week stretch of dry weather.  “DO NOT LET THEM DRY OUT!” Echoing in my head. We are behind, as in all things, in getting the irrigation system set up. 


I should mention I am 72, my partner is 65. And we live a good hour from the property. I say those things not to complain, but to acknowledge that the plan is not going to plan.  I love ambitious plans, but this one is really testing the 35 year old in my head and my 72 year old back.


All that said, we are just barely keeping up with the watering (skipping cloudy days), and it is supposed to rain today, knock on wood. And, even better, three days of rain this weekend. That means we can plant the last 70 cuttings for this year. And maybe get the water barrels in place.


Has anyone ever mentioned how like surfing this is? Catch a wave (of rainstorms) and you’re sitting on top of the world. (Boomer ref)


4/30


I was up there yesterday with the day’s water rations and decided to prune back a few of the 1 year pot-birthed willows that have gotten bushy. I will want to pollard anyway, so keeping a central rod is my goal. And now, I actually have enough to make a tiny tension tray, the first of my own willow. 




The weather report keeps changing. Fewer days and less chance of rain. Better get on those rain barrels. Planting tomorrow or Saturday. 


5/4

We got the last 70 cuttings in the ground and spread out the last bales of straw to mulch the beds. It spit some rain but held off til we were done. Relief! And it rained almost an inch yesterday - Yay! When timing is right, it’s golden. I wanted to do a few more things, like spread some cover crop seeds and wildflower mix in the open fields, but the unplanted field is getting out of control. We are now talking mowing, in a few days. A rain catchment plan, in the works.  Borrowing an augur from the Tool Library to finish planting the pots. We are also talking vacation. Much needed. 


Hoping to share new growth photos next time!


Music credit: John Scofield, "Down D" Intro



No comments:

Post a Comment